What is BetStop
BetStop is a self-exclusion scheme developed by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). It’s a free service for people who want help changing their gambling habits. It allows people to self-exclude from all legal online or phone wagering operations in Australia in one simple process.
Once someone has chosen their self-exclusion period, these wagering providers are not allowed to accept a bet or open a new account for them. Providers are also not allowed to send direct marketing messages to people who have self-excluded. People who have registered will be able to nominate up to 5 support people to help them manage their self‑exclusion. Personal details of users will be protected.
BetStop Launch Date
BetStop – the National Self-Exclusion Register will launch on 21 August 2023. From this date, you will be able to register with BetStop – the National Self-Exclusion Register to exclude yourself from all licensed interactive wagering services in a single process. People will be able to self-exclude for a minimum of 3 months, up to a lifetime. If someone self-excludes, they will be excluded from all of the approximately 150 licensed wagering providers in Australia.
ACMA Role in Australian Gambling Regulation
The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) plays a significant role in the regulation of gambling in Australia
. Here are some key points about their role:
- ACMA is responsible for media and communications regulation throughout Australia, including monitoring and enforcing the regulation of gambling online and over the telephone.
- They monitor compliance with and enforce the interactive gambling laws.
- The Interactive Gambling Act 2001 regulates interactive/Internet gambling services.
- ACMA is also responsible for regulating broadcasting, the Internet, radiocommunications, and telecommunications.
- They are responsible for monitoring and enforcing gambling regulations, including compliance with online gambling conditions.
- Federal interactive gambling laws prohibit activities like online slots, instant lotteries, casinos, and poker.
In addition to these responsibilities, ACMA has also developed BetStop, a self-exclusion scheme for people who want help changing their gambling habits. This service allows people to self-exclude from all legal online or phone wagering operations in Australia in one simple process.